Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
You can see in the background a fun little garage sale find. It is two figures carved out of wood. I still need to fix it but when it works you twirl the string and the bear dances while the dude plays the guitar. I couldn't pass it up for 10 cents.
The doll is for a silent auction that is this Friday. I better get moving on it. The auction is to raise money for friends of mine who are adopting 3 boys from Liberia. They were originally referred one child then learned that he had 2 more siblings. Soon they will have 4 under 4.
Monday, August 18, 2008
Sunday, August 17, 2008
I went to my first auction and picked up this chalkboard for $10. I didn't exactly "pick it up" though. Once I bid on it and won the excitement quickly wore off because I realized I had no way of getting a 10ft x 4 ft, 50+lb board home. It's not exactly something I could quickly throw into my hatchback. I stood there thinking,
"oh, heck (only I didn't say heck) now what."There were a bunch of them for sale and they were bought by 2 other people. 4 of them were bought for $1 total so he only paid .25 each*. They were all new in the box too. We all looked at each other blankly. I asked if any of them had a truck and thankfully one did. I gave him $10 to haul it home for me. So really I paid $20 total which is still a good deal.
But now, what am I going to do with it?
I'm glad I tucked my bidding number in my purse. I could now be the proud owner of a cafeteria sized ice cube maker or choir bleachers. At first I didn't know what the choir bleachers were. I thought that they were really tiny tables for short people.
*If you know me in RL and are in the market for a very large chalkboard I know where to get one. Email me or check on Craig's list in the next week or so. He's going to resell them.
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
This morning she said to me:
"Mom, I let Sadie out because she was getting all activated by the squirrels in the backyard."
I must get back to our big August Spring cleaning bonanza. Now that H is home we've been on an organization kick. I think we're getting ready for the new upcoming school year. It'll be nice to get back into a regular routine again. I don't know about you, but I've always thought of the Fall, or rather, the 1st of September being the New Year more than January 1st is. The end of summer - beginning of Fall is my favorite time of year. I always loved the anticipation of a new school year. I suppose that has always stayed with me.
- Tootie's room is now uncluttered and clean. whew.
- The rest of the house is torn apart.
- Trash day is on Tuesday.
- My neighbor 3 houses down put a girl's banana seat bike out on the curb.
- I saw it and went running toward it like a moth to a flame.
- It was pink.
- It was big enough for a small adult like me!
- H saw me going for it and yelled, "No. No. NO. No. NOOOOO."
- I got halfway there, realized he was right and turned around.
- I did give it one more look over my shoulder.
- It had a basket too.
- The trash-picking man picked it up later that night.
- I could have been like Elaine on Seinfeld.
- Although that one was a Schwinn Stingray.�
- The one in the trash was not.
- If it was? I'd have been all over that.
- But it wasn't.